lambda

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Mon Jan 17 06:23:13 EST 2005

Antoon Pardon wrote:
[...]
>>"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds". Rules are made
>>to be broken.
>

> Like only use immutables as dictionary keys.

Fair enough, but don;t go advising newbies to do this.

>>Besides which, if you don't understand the language
>>environment, rules alone will do you very little good. Try to focus a
>>little more on principles and a little less on minutiae.
>

> And what are the difference between those two?
>
> Sometimes I get the impression that everything is a principle until
> one personnaly finds the need to break it. After that it is a rule.

Principle: "Ten angels can dance on the head of a pin".

Minutiae: "Well, if they'd all recently been on a diet and they hold on
to each other very carefully you can get 10.3. I got eleven once by
adding a hash function".

regards
  Steve
--
Steve Holden               http://www.holdenweb.com/
Holden Web LLC      +1 703 861 4237  +1 800 494 3119