Point of Sale

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Thu Jan 27 09:01:22 EST 2005

Andreas Pauley wrote:
> My company has given me a rather cool project:
> I have to provide them with an open-source python-based point-of-sale /
> cash register system that can integrate with their existing ERP backend.

Do you have information about the interface to the ERP back end?
It could be anything just about anything...

> The project will include development to ensure that the features they
> require are included in the open-source POS system.

I read that as "will include automated acceptance tests", but perhaps
you meant something else?

> Can you recommend anything that I can use?

There's a good chance you'll need to use PySerial, if the
cash registers are connected via RS-232, but beyond that
there's not much to say without more info.  I believe I
heard somebody talking about a Python POS system before
in this newsgroup, but I'm not sure: check the archives?

-Peter