rotor replacement

Paul Rubin http
Tue Jan 18 23:53:30 EST 2005

"Reed L. O'Brien" <reed at intersiege.com> writes:
> I see rotor was removed for 2.4 and the docs say use an AES module
> provided separately...  Is there a standard module that works alike or
> an AES module that works alike but with better encryption?

If you mean a module in the distribution, the answer is no, for
political reasons.

There are a number of AES modules available on the net.  Most are C
extension modules which means you need to compile them, and if you
want to deploy them widely, you need binaries for every target platform.
There's a few pure-Python AES implementations but they are verrry slow.

Here's something written in Python that uses the built-in sha1 module
as a crypto primitive.  Its security should be better than rotor and
performance is reasonable for most applications:

  http://www.nightsong.com/phr/crypto/p3.py