What's so funny? WAS Re: rotor replacement

phr at localhost.localdomain phr at localhost.localdomain
Thu Jan 27 10:52:39 EST 2005

Skip Montanaro <skip at pobox.com> writes:
>     >> As long as we are discussing cryptography, what's wrong with
>     >> m2crypto?  Or, what about Andrew Kuchling's crypto toolkit?
>
>     Lucas> Umm, is it just me or did we just discuss the legal issues of
>     Lucas> that??
>
> You may have.  Whether or not there are legal issues with them is of little
> relevance to the point I was making.  Anything Paul writes would probably
> have the same legal entanglements.

Andrew's toolkit does incorporate some patented algorithms, but those
aren't critical and could be removed from a stdlib version.

> I was simply pointing out that maybe, just maybe, there are already
> suitable candidates from a technical standpoint and that he doesn't
> need to write anything.

There really don't appear to be any that are both technically
suitable, and that the authors are willing to contribute to PSF.  I'd
be delighted to be wrong.  Of course that still leaves the legal
issue.