python3: 'where' keyword

Carl Banks invalidemail at aerojockey.com
Mon Jan 10 08:48:45 EST 2005

Paul Rubin wrote:

>     The Zen of Python, by Tim Peters
>
>     Beautiful is better than ugly.   => +1 macros
>     Explicit is better than implicit. => +1 macros
>     Simple is better than complex.  => +1 macros
>     Complex is better than complicated.  => I don't understand this,
+0
>     Flat is better than nested.  => not sure, +0
>     Sparse is better than dense. => +1 macros
>     Readability counts. => +1 macros
>     Special cases aren't special enough to break the rules. => +1
macros
>     Although practicality beats purity. => +1 macros
>     Errors should never pass silently. => +1 macros
>     Unless explicitly silenced. => +1 macros
>     In the face of ambiguity, refuse the temptation to guess. => +1
macros
>     There should be one-- and preferably only one --obvious way to do
it. => -1
>     Although that way may not be obvious at first unless you're
Dutch. => ???
>     Now is better than never. => +1 macros, let's do it
>     Although never is often better than *right* now. => +1
>     If the implementation is hard to explain, it's a bad idea. =>
unknown, +0
>     If the implementation is easy to explain, it may be a good idea.
=> +0
>     Namespaces are one honking great idea -- let's do more of those!
=> +1

> I'm -1 on doing stuff by received dogma, but in this particular case
> it looks to me like the dogma is +12 for macros.  What are your
thoughts?

Paul,

When I asked you to do this, it was just a rhetorical way to tell you
that I didn't intend to play this game.  It's plain as day you're
trying to get me to admit something.  I'm not falling for it.

If you have a point to make, why don't you just make it?
--
CARL BANKS