Python evolution: Unease

Paul Rubin http
Tue Jan 4 08:25:25 EST 2005

Ville Vainio <ville at spammers.com> writes:
> Also, Python is not a monolithic entity. Guido certainly isn't going
> to write a better IDE for Python, so the time used on language
> features isn't removed from improving the infrastructure around the
> language.

There aren't THAT many people working on Python.  Any time spent on
feature X does tend to divert resources from feature Y.

I think there should be a moratorium on nontrivial language changes
(as opposed to library improvements) until PyPy is fully deployed.
Too much of Python as we know it today is shaped by the weirdness of
CPython.  We ought to be able to get away from that.