Tkinter vs wxPython

Ed Leafe ed at leafe.com
Thu Jan 27 20:23:45 EST 2005

On Jan 27, 2005, at 12:17 PM, Gabriel Cosentino de Barros wrote:

> Now going back on topic: A think that neighter Tk nor wxWindow is a
> good choice for python. They both suck much of it when it came to
> abstraction. They're still better than glade or gtk. But could improve
> a lot. wxWindow has simple an ugly API, and Tk has a huge sin in the
> syntax to pass actions to the buttons.

	I agree with that assessment, although I preferred wxPython over Tk.
One of the fundamental design goals of the Dabo framework is to wrap
the UI toolkits to hide all that ugliness, and present a uniform,
simple API for all the UI controls. We are using wxPython initially as
our UI toolkit of choice, but the long-term plan is to wrap Tk, too, so
that the interface to both is the same. IOW, the same app code will
work with wxPython or Tk. That's a lofty goal, but one that I think is
essential to bring Python UI development up to level available to other
languages.

      ___/
     /
    __/