how to find site-packages path

Eric S. Johansson esj at harvee.org
Tue Jan 18 11:00:44 EST 2005

Michael Hoffman wrote:
> Philippe C. Martin wrote:
>
>> I am using my own install script for my software and am looking for a
>> flawless way to figure out where python, and more specifically
>> site-packages is installed.
>

> The flawless way would be to use distutils. In fact you shouldn't even
> need your own install script--it should do most of the work for you.

can distutils install in any directory?  for example, an application
which has its own modules should be completely isolated from the general
Python module namespace.  how would you make distutils install in a
completely separate directory hierarchy and not touch any of the
site-packages directories or files?

it looked like that was impossible from the documentation which is why I
wrote my own installer.

---eric