SuSE 9.1: updating to python-2.4

David Fraser davidf at sjsoft.com
Mon Jan 10 03:13:38 EST 2005

Torsten Mohr wrote:
> Hi,
>
> along with my distribution SuSE 9.1 came python 2.3.3.
>
> I'd like to update to 2.4 now, is this an easy thing to do
> or will lots of installed modules refuse to work then?
>
> Is there an easy way to find out what i need to update?
>

> Thanks for any hints,
> Torsten.

What you probably want to do is install python2.4 alongside python2.3.3
as an alternate installation, since a lot of other programs in SuSE
probably depend on having python2.3.3 and won't work with the upgrade.

Have a look at the RPMs on the python 2.4 downloads page and see if you
can install them OK (I just did this fine for python 2.3 on whitebox linux).

David