Python evolution: Unease

Robert Kern rkern at ucsd.edu
Thu Jan 6 08:43:39 EST 2005

Alex Martelli wrote:

>>>Is it available for download somewhere?
>>
>>Alex is, I think, jumping the gun a bit. Envisage isn't quite ready for
>>prime time as your day to day IDE. It might be useful to you right now
>

> I apologize if I gave a misleading impression: I did not mean it was
> ready to use, or _already_ here; I suggested "looking at" in the sense
> of "paying attention to", and specifically mentioned "promise".
>
> Since the subthread was about future IDE developments, I thought it was
> appropriate to mention envisage, in the context of comparisons with
> eclipse's plugin-centered architecture.

The subthread was? Okay. Never mind me, then. The threading got broken
up in my newsreader and I couldn't tell the context.

>>as a platform to build a dynamic GUI application (Envisage's intended
>>use) if you are willing to get your hands dirty and help us build
>>Envisage. Hence, it is not being advertised widely.
>

> I saw a Pycon proposed talk about it, so I didn't stop to consider the
> "not advertised widely" issue.  Thinking about it, I realize Pycon is
> almost 3 months from now, so wanting to enthuse about envisage then
> doesn't imply already wanting to widely advertise it now; sorry.

No worries.

The SVN repository address isn't being kept secret, just not advertised
much. If anyone is interested in anonymous read-access, they can ask me
for the address.

--
Robert Kern
rkern at ucsd.edu