MMTK Install Problem

David M. Cooke cookedm+news at physics.mcmaster.ca
Wed Jan 26 17:50:17 EST 2005

Justin Lemkul <jalemkul at vt.edu> writes:

> Hello All,
>
> I am hoping that someone out there will be able to help me.  During the
> "build" phase of MMTK installation, I receive the following series of errors:
>
> $ python setup.py build
> running build
> running build_py
> running build_ext
> building 'lapack_mmtk' extension
> gcc -fno-strict-aliasing -Wno-long-double -no-cpp-precomp -mno-fused-madd
> -fno-common
> -dynamic -DNDEBUG -g -O3 -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -DLIBM_HAS_ERFC
> -DEXTENDED_TYPES -IInclude
> -I/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/
> 2.3/include/python2.3 -c Src/lapack_mmtk.c -o
> build/temp.darwin-7.7.0-Power_Macintosh
> -2.3/Src/lapack_mmtk.o
> Src/lapack_mmtk.c:2:33: Numeric/arrayobject.h: No such file or directory

Always look at the first error :-) GCC is awful for, when it can't
find an include file, saying it can't, then spewing millions of error
messages afterwards that are a direct result of not having stuff declared.

In this case, it's obvious that you don't have Numeric installed
correctly; the header files should be picked from one of the
directories specified by the -I flags in the gcc invocation above.

> I am attempting the install on a Mac OS X v10.3 with Python v2.3, NumPy v23.1,
> and SciPy v2.4.3

(You mean ScientificPython, not SciPy, right? Scipy is at 0.3.2)

How did you install Numeric? The newest version is 23.7. It should be
real easy to upgrade to that, as that version picks up Apple's vecLib
framework for the linear algebra routines. Just do the usual 'python
setup.py build', 'sudo python setup.py install'. That should put the
header files where the MMTK installation expects them.