Another look at language comparisons

Jan Dries jan.dries at dcube-resource.be
Sat Jan 8 08:18:15 EST 2005

beliavsky at aol.com wrote:
>>From the web site:
> "Why Microsoft can Blow-Off with C#? These people have thought up
> programming languages Fortran, Prologue, Ada."
>
> The author is ignorant. Fortran was invented by IBM in the late 1950s,
> long before Microsoft existed. Ada was commissioned by the U.S.
> Department of Defense in the 1970s. The Prolog programming language is
> not spelled "Prologue".

I don't think that "these people" is refering to Microsoft. Instead, it
is refering to the three pictures below the text. I assume they are the
pictures of the respective authors of these languages.

The bottom line of the article is that languages authored by men with
beards are more successful than those authored by people without beards.
At least the anecdotical evidence to that is overwhelming :-)

And there is hope for Python, as Guido has recently been seen with a
beard :-)
http://www.tbray.org/ongoing/When/200x/2004/12/08/-big/IMG_3061.jpg

Regards,
Jan