python without OO

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Wed Jan 26 02:05:58 EST 2005

Davor, Before I learned Python, I too was put off by OO hype.  And I
suppose I still would be if I still listened to it.  But Python's class
statement is somewhere inbetween a C typedef and C++/Jave classes.
Stripped down pretty much to the essentials and only used when really
useful, it made more sense to me.

If you start a project in Python and enlist other competant Pythoneers,
they most likely will not be OO fanatics.  Simply tell prospective partners
that you prefer structured procedural programming to user-written object
classes everywhere.  An OO afionado will realise that yours is not the
project to join.

I think you should perhaps read and write more Python code before making a
decision.  Do note that methods within a class are functions first and
benefit from good procedural-code-writing ability.

Terry J. Reedy