Python Operating System???

John Roth newsgroups at jhrothjr.com
Thu Jan 6 23:10:03 EST 2005

"David Brown" <david at graydragon.net> wrote in message
news:10trb0mgiflcj4f at corp.supernews.com...
> Hello. I recently came across a free operating system called Unununium (or
> something like that) and it was developed in Python and Assembly.
>
> Now, I have been looking for a way to make an operating system for a long
> long time and the only possibilities I could find were C++ and assembly. I
> don't mind assembly so much if I don't have to use it very often. But C++
> is
> so complicated and errors are pretty much impossible to find in the code
> for
> me.
>
> So, I was wondering if it would be possible to find a bootloader that
> loads
> a python file at startup or something...
>
> Is there an example somewhere of a Python OS?

As far as I know, there's no working example. Unununium is still
very early development, and it's going off in a quite interesting
direction that is hardly standard.

Writing an operating system is a lot of work. The approach I'd
take would be to start out with an existing micro-kernel and
enhance it with a kernel level Python system so that you wouldn't
need any C or Asm level code in a typical process.

Then I'd pursue a restricted subset of Python that could be
compiled directly to machine code, and start recoding the
various C and Asm parts in that. See the PyPy project for
the direction they're taking for writing the Python system in
Python.

Have fun with the project!

John Roth