What YAML engine do you use?

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Fri Jan 21 20:36:33 EST 2005

A.M. Kuchling wrote:
> On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 18:54:50 +0100,
> 	Fredrik Lundh <fredrik at pythonware.com> wrote:
>>judging from http://yaml.org/spec/current.html (750k), the YAML designers are
>>clearly insane.  that's the most absurd software specification I've ever seen.  they
>>need help, not users.
>
> IMHO that's a bit extreme.  Specifications are written to be detailed, so
> consequently they're torture to read.  Seen the ReStructured Text spec
> lately?
[...]
> But YAML ... the format is now ... not really simpler than
> XML and in some ways weaker (e.g. only two encodings supported, more
> complicated escaping rules).

As I recall, one of the key original goals for XML was that the
parsers be relatively easy to write (relative to SGML).

Judging by that YAML spec, I can imagine that a YAML parser could
well be much more difficult to write than an XML parser would be.

Anyone have personal experience with this?

(Yes, I know people don't write parsers as often as they use
them, and that's probably some of the justification behind YAML,
but looking at that YAML spec, I find it hard to imagine I could
ever remember enough of it to write a YAML file by hand, and
yet I can and do write XML files by hand often.)

-Peter