Another scripting language implemented into Python itself?

Roy Smith roy at panix.com
Tue Jan 25 08:14:31 EST 2005

"Carl Banks" <invalidemail at aerojockey.com> wrote:

> > Imbed
> EMBED.

My apologies for being sloppy.  And with an initial capital, so it just
jumps off the page at you :-)

> > Python, or Perl, or TCL, or Ruby, or PHP,
>
> Not PHP.  PHP is one of the better (meaning less terrible) examples of
> what happens when you do this sort of thing, which is not saying a lot.

But, that's exactly my point.  To be honest, I've never used PHP.  But
however bad it may be, at least it's got a few years of people fixing
bugs, writing books, writing add-on tools, etc, behind it.  Better to
use somebody else's well-known and well-supported mess of a scripting
language than to invest several person-years inventing your own mess
that's no better.

There are a lot of existing scripting languages to pick from.  It's nice
to pick the best one, but even if you pick the worst, that's probably
better than you can do on your own.

> TCL isn't that great in this regard, either, as it makes a lot of
> common operations that ought to be very simple terribly unweildy.

In my last job, I did a lot of TCL.  I've posted on this before (when I
was at a previous employer), so I'll just provide a pointer
(http://tinyurl.com/44w6n).  That article says most of what that needs
saying, *AND* proves that I really do know how to spell embed :-)

It might be worth adding, however, that the TCL implementation discussed
above was a 3rd generation for that product.  Generation #1 was a bunch
of shell scripts.  Generation #2 was a home-grown scripting language.
Fortunately, they learned their lesson soon enough to rescue the project
with a conversion to TCL.  I'm not sure how many person-years were
wasted both in the initial implementation and in the conversion effort,
but I imagine it was a $500,000 mistake.