Recent infoworld column

Roger Binns rogerb at rogerbinns.com
Sun Jan 9 12:21:17 EST 2005

"Peter Hansen" <peter at engcorp.com> wrote in message news:G8Odndd9s7Zkv33cRVn-og at powergate.ca...
> Dwarf Electrician wrote:
>> from a long time listener...
>>
>> http://www.infoworld.com/article/04/12/30/01OPstrategic_1.html
>
> Kudos for Roger Binns!

It is a very nice article :-)  BitPim like many other projects is an
effort by several people, but what John did was entirely my code.
And of course that code wouldn't be possible without the various
components I had available to me which including Python and wxPython
as well as several others.

  http://bitpim.org/testhelp/credits.htm
  http://bitpim.org/testhelp/3rdparty.htm

You may also find a talk I gave at baypiggies in July 2004 of interest.

  http://bitpim.org/papers/baypiggies/

It covers the various issues in doing a "real world" Python application,
including packaging them up so they are indistinguishable from native
applications, accessing serial ports, USB and SWIG, threading, the GUIs
available and why I picked wxPython, Outlook and Evolution integration,
dealing with an undocumented binary protocol, user and programmer documentation,
secure remote access etc.

Roger