Python evolution: Unease

EP EP at zomething.com
Wed Jan 5 03:23:02 EST 2005

Roman wrote:

> Maybe OP doesn't yet fully comprehend the ways of Python universe?

<snip>

> > Don't misinterpret this response. I know it was a rambling. But
> *maybe* you
> > have something to contribute to Python development, even good ideas
> only and
> > no work.
> >
> > .    Facundo

Am I selling Snake Oil?

Here's my observation, which must be taken with the grain of salt that I am simply not a smart nor seasoned enough programmer to understand some of the considerations for the new language features.  It's over my head - there, I said it.

What I do have is a "forest" instead of an "in the trees" perspective, and from a forest view I see a lot of defensiveness about Python's hypothetical shortcomings.  No one needs be defensive, Python is an amazing programming language, and everyone involved with its development, evolution, support and codebase ought to feel quite good about it.

So there should be a lot of clapping each other on the shoulder and the clinking of beer bottles in toasts.

The next morning we get up, we ought to look at our bed mate and think over some coffee whether this is someone who will be our lifelong friend, or if we want it to be much more than that.  Because taking it to the next level, to it's ultimate potential, is not a linear exercise and requires non-linear thinking, strategy, and execution (and no doubt greater commitment.)

It would not be ground breaking for me to assert that undertakings reach plateaus as they grow in magnitude and scope.  A company, for example, must re-invent itself several times on the way to greatness from the couple folks gathered around the kitchen table, and this is not just at low levels.  Companies reach plateaus, for example, around points like $1 billion in annual revenue -- to keep growing and get to, let's say, $5 billion, they have to re-invent themselves with a new and greater vision.

It would be easy to miss this with our heads buried in code, or with our minds occupied with either the defense of Python or a debate about what a "concept" is.  [tongue in cheek]

I use Python everyday; I've liked it from the first five minutes, and I like it more all the time.  I hope it is always maintained because it would be a shame to ever lose such a powerful and joyful tool.

I also think Python affords a view of what might be great things in the distance, but perhaps the journey required to get there is more like crossing an ocean than simply walking down the road.  Not knowing how to cross the ocean doesn't mean there isn't milk and honey on the other side, nor that the journey should be written off; but there is no guarantee that Python is the right vehicle to get us there, and if it is it may need to grow organic gills.

I'm of two minds, that (1) Python is perfect as is and (2) that "it" needs radical (non-linear) improvements in development environment, documentation, and execution speed to reach its potential in terms of application and acceptance.  Where and how far the community wants to take Python would be something to figure out before debating what needs to be changed about it, if there is a desire to take it to a potential on a new level.

Python: it tastes so good it makes you hungrier.

Eric Pederson