Debian says "Warning! you are running an untested version of Python." on 2.3

Gerhard Haering gh at ghaering.de
Thu Jan 13 08:27:48 EST 2005

On Thu, Jan 13, 2005 at 12:56:38PM -0000, Alex Stapleton wrote:
> Whenever I run python I get
>
> "Warning! you are running an untested version of Python."
>
> prepended to the start of any output on stdout. [...]

ROFL. Are you using testing, sid or experimental?  I expect overzealous
patching from Debian developers, but this is the worst I've heard of.

To look what's going on and how to fix it, you could try to download the
sources with "apt-get source ...", which will give you the standard
Python tarball + the Debian patches. Then you can look into the Debian
patches wtf they're doing there.

-- Gerhard