OT: MoinMoin and Mediawiki?

Paul Rubin http
Mon Jan 10 21:45:16 EST 2005

I need to set up a wiki for a small group.  I've played with MoinMoin
a little bit and it's reasonably straightforward to set up, but
limited in capabilities and uses BogusMarkupConventions.  I want to
use it anyway because I need something running right away and I don't
want to spend a whole lot of time messing with it.

In the larger world, though, there's currently One True wiki package,
namely Mediawiki (used by Wikipedia).  Mediawiki is written in PHP and
is far more complex than MoinMoin, plus it's database backed, meaning
you have to run an SQL server as well as the wiki software itself
(MoinMoin just uses the file system).  Plus, I'll guess that it really
needs mod_php, while MoinMoin runs tolerably as a set of cgi's, at
least when traffic is low.  I'll say that I haven't actually looked at
the Mediawiki code, though I guess I should do so.

What I'm getting at is I might like to install MoinMoin now and
migrate to Mediawiki sometime later.  Anyone have any thoughts about
whether that's a crazy plan?  Should I just bite the bullet and run
Mediawiki from the beginning?  Is anyone here actually running
Mediawiki who can say just how big a hassle it is?

There are actually two wikis I want to run, one of which I need
immediately, but which will be private, low traffic and stay that way.
The other one will be public and is planned grow to medium size (a few
thousand active users), but which I don't need immediately.  I
definitely want the second one to eventually run Mediawiki.  I can
probably keep the first one on MoinMoin indefinitely, but that would
mean I'm eventually running two separate wiki packages, which gets
confusing.