modpython, apache and windows

Bob Van Zant bvanzant at ironport.com
Tue Jan 4 20:26:38 EST 2005

Fortunately most of the Python-for-the-web implementations do not follow
closely to the PHP paradigm of web-based programming. There are some,
like PSP, that more closely model what PHP does.

It is not uncommon to have something like index.py which does hardly
anything except fire up a framework that takes care of parsing the rest
of the URI and passing control over to the proper script. Using some
relatively cryptic features of Apache you can hide the fact that
everything goes through index.py (mod_rewrite).

You might be interested in the Aquarium web framework
(http://aquarium.sf.net). It provides a very flexible, mature framework
for developing web applications including a session manager, a form
validation library and a form generation "widget" among many other
things. The documentation on the official aquarium site is fairly
cryptic but I have written a few more intro documents at
http://bob.norcalttora.com including an example excerpt of an httpd.conf
file that will configure mod_python to work with Aquarium including the
previously mentioned apache rewrite rules.

I have never tried to get this working in windows but if you get it
working I'd be very interested in seeing what changes you had to make.
I'm willing to help you along the way.

Not really sure how else to help you at this point. The index.py that
you had working was probably on the right track.

-Bob