What's so funny? WAS Re: rotor replacement

phr at localhost.localdomain phr at localhost.localdomain
Mon Jan 24 17:10:23 EST 2005

"Fredrik Lundh" <fredrik at pythonware.com> writes:
> have you tried this, or are you just making things up to be able to
> continue the argument?  (hint: it doesn't work; python portability
> means that it's fairly easy to write programs that run on multiple
> platforms, not that they will run on all available platforms without
> porting and testing).

As an app writer I want to publish code that runs on multiple
platforms without needing special attention from the end user, and
preferably without needing special platform-specific attention from
me.  If you want to use the words "Python portability" to mean
something weaker than that, that's ok, but I'm trying to accomplish
something better.  I've written lots of Python code that uses the sha
module without my needing to worry about the target platform, so that
shows the goal can be met.  I'm aiming for an aes/des module that's as
convenient for app writers and end users as the sha module is.

So now I know what you think "Python portability" means.  What do you
think "batteries included" means?