Who should security issues be reported to?

Fuzzyman fuzzyman at gmail.com
Fri Jan 28 08:01:57 EST 2005

grahamd at dscpl.com.au wrote:
> Aahz wrote:
> > In article <1106863164.745581.11920 at f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
> >  <grahamd at dscpl.com.au> wrote:
> > >
> > >Who are the appropriate people to report security problems to in
> > >respect of a module included with the Python distribution?  I
don't
> > >feel it appropriate to be reporting it on general mailing lists.
> >
> > There is no generally appropriate non-public mechanism for
reporting
> > security issues.  If you really think this needs to be handled
> > privately, do some research to find out which core developer is
most
> > likely to be familiar with it.  Even before you do that, check
> > SourceForge to find out whether anyone else has reported it as a
bug.

> I find this response a bit dissappointing frankly. Open Source people
> make
> such a big deal about having lots of people being able to look at
> source
> code and from that discover security problems, thus making it somehow
> making it better than proprietary source code. From what I can see,
if
> an
> Open Source project is quite large with lots of people involved, it
> makes it
> very hard to try and identify who you should report something to when
> there is no clearly identifiable single point of contact for security
> related

The sourceforge bug tracker *is* the single right place to post such
issues. The py-dev mailing list would be a second *useful* place to
post such a comment, although not really the right place. The OP seemed
to want an individual with whom he could have a private conversation
about it.

Regards,

Fuzzy