windows mem leak

Bob Smith bob_smith_17280 at hotmail.com
Sun Jan 9 13:41:59 EST 2005

Peter Hansen wrote:
> Bob Smith wrote:
>
>> Attached is the code. Run it yourself and see. You too Peter. Be
>> gentle with me, this was my first attempt with threads.
>

> Thanks, Bob, and I will, but not before you answer some of my
> questions.
>
> I had good reasons to ask them, one of which is that I don't
> feel like wasting my time if, for example, you are using an
> older version of Python that *did* have a memory leak.

2.4 (#60, Nov 30 2004, 11:49:19) [MSC v.1310 32 bit (Intel)]

> The most important answers you can provide will be versions,
> platform (pretty clearly Linux, but please confirm and give
> version), and what "bombs" means and how you are measuring
> the memory leak.

WinXP Home, Service Pack 2, AMD 1400MHz proc, 256MB Ram
Debian Linux Testing (2.4.28 vanilla Kernel) 3GHz P4 proc, 1.5GB Ram

> (I presume you're using a version of nmap that's compiled
> for Windows XP then?

Yes, I am.

> It's certainly not standard.

That's a matter of opinion. Nmap works fine on the WinXP machine.

> How have
> you proven that it is not *that* program which is at fault?)

I have not. All I know is that on WinXP, the program uses 100% CPU at
times and consumes more Ram than is available (the page file grows to
700 or 800MB). It runs OK for a few hours and then produces a 'not
enough resources' error. And, the machine is generally unuserable. On
Linux, it has no impact whatsoever on resources. Granted, the Linux
machine is much more robust, but one wouldn't expect this great a
difference. I can rewrite it so that it's pure Pyhton (no calling nmap)
if you think that would be a good idea. Perhaps that would at least
remove nmap from the equation.

I can run it if you like and take a screen shot of the error. You'll
have to give me a few hours though ;)