Python! Is! Truly! Amazing!

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Mon Jan 3 15:55:49 EST 2005

Ron Garret wrote:

> In article <mailman.85.1104749220.22381.python-list at python.org>,
>  jfj <jfj at freemail.gr> wrote:
>

>>Ron Garret wrote:

>>>Just wait until you discover Lisp!
>>>
>>>;-)
>>

>>I've had it with all those lisp posts lately ;-)
>>
>>There were functional and non-functional programming languages (the
>>first being *much* simpler to implement). There is a *reason* people
>>chose C over lisp. It's not that we were all blind and didn't see the
>>amazingness of lisp. Procedural languages are simply better, and I'm not
>>replying to this flamewar.
>

> Then neither am I.
>
> Yes, there's a reason people choose C over Lisp, just as there is a
> reason that people choose Windows over OS X, the Ford Taurus over the
> Lexus SC400, and Perl over Python.  But I'm pretty sure joy isn't that
> reason.  If joy is part of your quality metric for a programming
> language then Lisp is worth a look.  (And it costs a lot less than a
> Lexus.)

Well, in the Computer Programming for Everyone stakes I'm pretty sure
that LISP and its derivatives don't stand a chance, simply because of
the rebarbative syntax one must use to express even relatively simple
algorithms and data structures.

While the language has a lot going for it in the hands of an experienced
and determined LISPer, the average programmer just isn't going to "get it".

regards
  Steve
--
Steve Holden               http://www.holdenweb.com/
Holden Web LLC      +1 703 861 4237  +1 800 494 3119