Frameworks for "Non-Content Oriented Web Apps"

paolo_veronelli paolo_veronelli at yahoo.it
Sun Jan 2 12:36:26 EST 2005

mirnazim at gmail.com wrote:

>I have started a topic that is really vauge. I knew that this topic is
>very general and abstract but I think it turned out to be more general
>that I had expected.
>
>Let me make an attemp at defining "Non-Content Oriented Web
>Applications".
>
>A "Non-Content Oriented Web Application":
>(1) will be accessed from web browser(obviously).
>
>(2) will be developed using 'W3C' and other open standards(STRICTLY, to
>ensure compatibility and portablity).
>
>(3) will expose some kind of functionality to the user, not just some
>document to read.
>
>(4) functionality can be very simple to very complex.
>
>I sat down to define what I actually mean by "Non-Content Oriented Web
>Applications" with a fairly clear idea, But suddenly every thing
>vanished from my mind, "OH MY GOD, I AM OUT OF WORDS". I think all of
>you have been i such situation at least once. So please help me in
>defining these  "Non-Content Oriented Web Applications". To give a
>example, I think GMAIL comes quite close to what I am talking aout.

Well,this is what we are working on,about  point 2) 1) ~3) ~4) ,but I
really don't think it has something strongly related with gmail.

We are using nevow and rdf,mainly.Nevow for rendering  pages,and rdf to
build them on the fly.

Probably,what I find related to your questions  in this project is the
open  server ontology we are trying to build.

Eventually ontologies and semantics have nothing to do with python core(
:-(( ),but with a good scripting language it's easy to mix semantic net
querying  with   pages ,rendering  technical, nevow code.

This way functionalities of the service are changed,and built during the
service run,just adding triples to the semantic net and changing the
contents sticked to its nodes.

We hope to have code in the contents of the semantic net soon.This will
allow to upload a piece of code ,some templates,together with the right
metadatas in the semantic net
and see the service implied running around in the pages which URI is
matched by the pattern coded in the metadata of the service.

It's not clear to me also,but this is how it works:using semantic
matching(which can be very complex) to decide the interface to
information pieces an URL renders.

Last but not least,all the informations ,their logic and the rendering
engine end functionalities(templates and their specific code),are
distribuited as definition as the reside in the semantic net service.My
poor english(and stoned mind).

I hope I got something of your lost words,have fun and have a look at
www.pytypus.org.

Yours