OT: MoinMoin and Mediawiki?

Paul Rubin http
Wed Jan 12 15:49:32 EST 2005

Ian Bicking <ianb at colorstudy.com> writes:
> That sounds like you'd be implementing your own filesystem ;)

Yes, this shouldn't be any surprise.  Implementing a special purpose
file system what every database essentially does.

> If you are just trying to avoid too many files in a directory, another
> option is to put files in subdirectories like:
>
> base = struct.pack('i', hash(page_name))
> base = base.encode('base64').strip().strip('=')
> filename = os.path.join(base, page_name)

Using subdirectories certainly keeps directory size down, and it's a
good idea for MoinMoin given the way MoinMoin uses the file system.
But for really big wikis, I think using the file system like that
isn't workable even with subdirectories.  Plus, there's the issue of
how to find backlinks and how to do full text search.