dict.updated

Rick Morrison ram at forefront-tech.No.Lunch.meat.com
Wed Jan 12 18:47:13 EST 2005

I could live with creating a new dict, sure (although it seems wasteful). I
realize that something like this probably doesn't stand a chance of ever
making it into the std library for what might be called "philosophical"
reasons. I just want it for me (my personal philosophy runs more to the
pragmatic -- well at least for coding).

I suppose the in-place version would be more along the lines of:

>>> def updated(d, updates):
...        d.update(updates)
...        return d
>>> [updated(d, {'c':3}) for d in [{'a':1, 'b':2}, {'x':10, 'y':'11'}]]

But I'd like to put the "updated" method on the "dict" object, which is what
I can't seem to figure out.
Yeah I know that's "bad", but to my mind so is polluting the global
namespace with the "updated" function.

 -- Or maybe I'm just lazy and picked up too many bad habits from
Javascript.

Rick

news:dvKdnWal2sVXAXjcRVn-2g at comcast.com...