(objects as) mutable dictionary keys

Antoon Pardon apardon at forel.vub.ac.be
Fri Jan 14 10:41:44 EST 2005

Op 2005-01-14, Peter Maas schreef <peter at somewhere.com>:
> I have summarized the discussion about the usability of lists (and
> and other mutable types) as dictionary keys and put it into the
> Python wiki.URL: http://www.python.org/moin/DictionaryKeys.
>
> This summary might be used as a reference should the 'mutable
> dictionary keys' issue come up again in c.l.py.

I had a look and I think you should correct the followingr:

  Dictionary lookup with mutable types like lists is a source of
  unpleasant surprises for the programmer and therefore impossible in
  Python.

It is not impossible in Python. It may be discouraged but it is not
impossible since I have already done so.

--
Antoon Pardon