need help on need help on generator...

Francis Girard francis.girard at free.fr
Fri Jan 21 11:16:28 EST 2005

Really, thank you Craig Ringer for your great answer.

> I'm afraid I can't help you with that. I tend to take the view that side
> effects in lazily executed code are a bad plan, and use lazy execution
> for things where there is no reason to care when the code is executed.

I completly agree with this. But this is much more true in theory than in
practice. In practice you might end up with big big memory usage with lazy
constructs as the "system" has to store intermediate results (the execution
context in the case of Python). These kinds of phenomena happen all the time
in a language like Haskell -- at least for a beginner like me -- if you don't
pay attention to it ; and this makes the language a lot more difficult to
master. Thus you have to keep an eye on performance even though, in FP, you
shoould just have to "declare" your intentions and let the system manage the
execution path.

>     http://gnosis.cx/publish/programming/metaclass_1.html
>     http://gnosis.cx/publish/programming/metaclass_2.html

Thank you, I'll read that.