PyCon Preliminary Program Announced!

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Fri Jan 21 09:37:28 EST 2005

Timothy Fitz wrote:

>>I don't care much for "parallel tracks" myself, because I want to hear
>>basically everything.  But we had more proposals of higher quality
>>this year than ever before, so it came down to scheduling more talks
>>in parallel than ever before too, or rejecting perfectly good
>>proposals.
>

> Will there be recordings of any of these presentations? There are
> quite a few times when I want to be at all three tracks at the same
> time.

There are currently loose plans to have each session recorded. This
will, however, require massive volunteer effort which so far nobody has
offered to coordinate, so unless someone steps up to the plate with a
sound plan to ensure that at least the initial capture takes place this
may remain a pipe dream (there are limits to the chairman's powers that
he is starting to treat as actual rather than theoretical ;-)

What's actually required?

Someone needs to start a resource, with a copy of the schedule ( and a
Wiki page might do, its source can be lifted directly from the Wiki
source of http://www.python.org/moin/PyConDC2005/Schedule) that allows
volunteers to sign up to record specific sessions.

We also need a release form that speakers can sign to allow the
recording to take place and for it to be published under a suitable
Creative Commons license.

We need advice on file formats and software for Linux, Windows and Mac
(plus any other platforms that may be used): experience says that
apparently it's possible to make acceptable recordings with an external
microphone such as a lapel mike from the front of the room, without
involving the University. If someone wants to liaise about electronic
feeds I'll certainly facilitate interaction with GWU as long as the cost
is acceptable (zero would be best).

Finally we need someone coordinating at the conference to make sure this
all happens, that the release forms are collected, and that the sound
files are made available - probably on www.python.org.

This is a /community conference/, guys. I *know* the Python community
can collectively take this task and eat it for breakfast, but please
don't believe it will happen as a result of a few newsgroup posts saying
what a nice idea it would be. Things don't happen that way, and I have
the grey hairs to prove it. Please, make this happen!

regards
  Steve
--
Steve Holden               http://www.holdenweb.com/
Holden Web LLC      +1 703 861 4237  +1 800 494 3119