The Industry choice

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Sat Jan 1 11:51:40 EST 2005

Cameron Laird wrote:

> In article <1104511661.928284.10200 at z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
>  <beliavsky at aol.com> wrote:
>
>>Bulba wrote:
>>
>>>OK, so what projects and why would you consider
>>>Python:
>>>1. "clearly unsuitable"
>>
>>Large-scale scientific computing projects, such as numerical weather
>>prediction, where performance is critical. Python could be used as the
>>"glue" but not the "guts", where Fortran 95 and C++ are more
>>appropriate. In my tests, some posted here, there has been a
>
> 			.
> 			.
> 			.
> I feel like growling that it's clearly a mistake for large-scale
> scientific computing projects not to leverage dynamic languages,
> at least in part.  Yes, I've seen projects that would have been
> disasters if done entirely in Python.  I've also seen many, many
> large-scale scientific projects that soaked up far more resources
> than they should have because they limited themselves to C++ or
> Fortran.
>
> I argue that it's a false opposition to categorize projects in
> terms of use of single languages.  Many projects are MUCH better
> off with a mix of Python and Fortran, say (and probably SQL and
> JavaScript and ...), and it's pernicious to accomodate the
> managerial conceit that One Language will suffice.

Indeed it's sensible to choose language based on the nature of the task
to be performed, to avoid "language-blindness" and to build systems in
mixed languages.

Unfortunately the hierarchy of power in most modern commercial and
academic organizations is such that large-scale efforts will be
nominally run by single individuals, and since those individuals
typically can dispense favors and determine who advances within the
organization it's often unwise *not* to accommodate the managerial
conceit it career advancement is one's primary goal.

which-is-why-i-run-my-own-business-ly y'rs  -  steve
--
Steve Holden               http://www.holdenweb.com/
Holden Web LLC      +1 703 861 4237  +1 800 494 3119