Securing a future for anonymous functions in Python

Donn Cave donn at u.washington.edu
Wed Jan 12 14:51:32 EST 2005

In article <tyf8y6z59ub.fsf at pcepsft001.cern.ch>,
 Jacek Generowicz <jacek.generowicz at cern.ch> wrote:
> Donn Cave <donn at u.washington.edu> writes:
>
> > List incomprehensions do not parse well in my eyes.
>
> Are you familiar with the Haskell syntax for list comprehensions?
>
> For example:
>
>  http://www.zvon.org/other/haskell/Outputsyntax/listQcomprehension_reference.h

I haven't used it more than once or twice in the modest
amount of Haskell code I've written, but I've seen it
a few times.

> Does their striking similarity to mathematical set notation help at
> all ?

Not a bit.

If it's any more obvious than the Python version, I suppose
it's the |  -- my parser sees [a|b] on the first pass.

But it isn't like I ever made any real effort to get comfortable
with Python list comprehensions.  I was just relaying my (lack of)
intuitive grasp of them, compared to map and lambda.

   Donn Cave, donn at u.washington.edu