"A Fundamental Turn Toward Concurrency in Software"

Erik Max Francis max at alcyone.com
Fri Jan 7 23:31:56 EST 2005

aurora wrote:

> Just gone though an article via Slashdot titled "The Free Lunch Is Over: A
> Fundamental Turn Toward Concurrency in Software"
> [http://www.gotw.ca/publications/concurrency-ddj.htm]. It argues that the
> continous CPU performance gain we've seen is finally over. And that future
> gain would primary be in the area of software concurrency taking advantage
> hyperthreading and multicore architectures.

Well, I think it's reasonable to expect that _eventually_ (whether soon
or relatively soon or not for a long time) Moore's law will fail, and
the exponential increase in computing power over time will cease to
continue.  At that point, it seems reasonable to assume you'll do your
best to take advantage of this with parallelization -- if your CPU won't
get faster, just put more and more in the box.  So I've always had it in
the back of my mind that languages that can easily support massive
(especially automatic) parallelization will have their day in the sun,
at least someday.

   All the people in my neighborhood turn around and get mad and sing
   -- Public Enemy