Pystone benchmark: Win vs. Linux (again)

Alex Martelli aleaxit at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 29 03:54:27 EST 2005

Paul Rubin <http://phr.cx@NOSPAM.invalid> wrote:

> Franco Fiorese <franco.fiorese at tin.it> writes:
> >   * Windows XP Pro:  16566.7 pystones/second
> >   * Linux (kernel 2.6.9 NPTL): 12346.2 pystones/second
> >
> > I have repeated the test, on Linux, also with other distributions and
> > kernel but a relevant difference still exists with Windows offering a
> > better performance.
> >
> > Is there any way, that you know, to get better performance under Linux?
>
> I hate to say this but the Windows C compiler may be beating GCC in
> output code.  Doing anything about it may require a lot of careful
> profiling and tuning.

...or (just as hypothetically) purchasing some commercial compiler might
help, under the assumption that the optimization and code generation of
the compiler are the issues here.  I have nothing but hearsay to go on,
but IBM's compiler for PPC chips, and Intel's compiler for Intel chips,
appear to claim that they have excellent code generation, for example.

Alex