The Industry choice

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Sun Jan 2 17:41:32 EST 2005

<beliavsky at aol.com> wrote in message
news:1104689464.828070.309990 at c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
>> 2004-I: "xundef.f", line 2: 'y' is set but never used.
> 2005-W: "xundef.f", line 4: 'x' is used but never set.
> 2153-W: "xundef.f", line 5, column 1: Subscript out of range.

None of these are syntax errors.  The first two of these would be caught by
lint or pychecker (I am presuming).

> One reason interpreted languages like Python are recommended to
> beginners is to avoid the edit/compile/debug cycle. But I think it is
> faster and less frustrating to have many errors caught in one shot.

True syntax errors often result in such a cascade of bogus errors that it
may often be best to fix the first reported error and then recompile.  Of
course, compilers vary in their recovery efforts.

Terry J. Reedy