Advice request for project

John French hikenboots at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 2 11:36:16 EST 2005

I've been interested in Python for a while now but haven't had an
opportunity to use / learn it.  I'm tasked now with a project at work that
might be my first opportunity.

 I have to write a ~75 concurrent user document storage app. that allows
users to scan documents from locally attached scanners and save to a
database for retrieval.  I also need to be able to call MS Word with
templates and allow the user to save the file to the database.  I think I
understand that I can interface MS COM for these, correct?

My interest is in using FreeBSD/Postgresql/Python as a back end and a Python
GUI app on the XP workstations.  I'm going to end up adding some
non-database functionality to the project in the future that precludes only
using odbc to the database.  I'll likely end up with some form of inter-user
messaging being incorporated before it's over.  Is it better to write one
server side socket app to handle everything or start via odbc and necessary
server side apps later?  If anyone can tell me if this project seems
appropriate to Python and offer suggestions as to an initial architecture,
I'd appreciate it.  I'm quite interested in the RAD aspect of the language
but quite lost at the moment.  (I did just sign up for the Tutor mailing
list).

Thanks in Advance