Accessing MDB files on Windows

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Wed Jan 19 11:38:55 EST 2005

Jorge Luiz Godoy Filho wrote:

> Larry Bates, Quarta 19 Janeiro 2005 14:01, wrote:
>

>>I'm assuming the application will be run on Windows.
>

> You're right.  It will be run on Windows.  I discarded some other platform
> due to the difficulty of supporting this file format.
>

>>You can use ODBC or DAO.
>>
>>An DAO solution that I wrote (and use) can be found
>>at:
>>
>>http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Cookbook/Python/Recipe/303349
>

> Thanks!  I'm looking at it.
>

>>For ODBC you would just use the standard library module.
>

> Thanks.  I'll be trying the DAO first.

Note that DAO is a very old library, and nowadays ADO would probably be
the preferred method in the Windows environment (can DAO even *use*
oledb providers?). ADO libraries are available - see

   http://www.markcarter.me.uk/computing/python/ado.html

for example, or Google for "python ado". Bottom line, there are many
ways to skin this particular cat.

regards
  Steve
--
Steve Holden               http://www.holdenweb.com/
Holden Web LLC      +1 703 861 4237  +1 800 494 3119