Continuations Based Web Framework - Seaside.

Jp Calderone exarkun at divmod.com
Sun Jan 2 14:33:49 EST 2005

On Sun, 2 Jan 2005 13:34:02 -0500, Kendall Clark <kendall at monkeyfist.com> wrote:
>On Sun, Jan 02, 2005 at 10:03:10AM -0500, Steve Holden wrote:
>
> > I did actually do some sort-of-related work in this area, which I
> > presented at PyCon DC 2004 - you can access the paper at
> >
> >    http://www.python.org/pycon/dc2004/papers/18/Setting_A_Context.pdf
> >
> > An audience member mentioned the Smalltalk and Scheme-based work on web
> > continuation frameworks, and I was sorry my answer at the time seemed
> > unduly dismissive.
>
> That was me, actually. I remain surprised that there isn't a move
> afoot either to implement something like Seaside or Borges in Python
> or to adapt one of the existing web frameworks to be
> modal/continuation style.

  There is at least one.  I'm sure I could find several, if I looked.
The problem is that there are dozens of "web frameworks" in Python,
all off in their separate corners ignoring each other for the most
part, and for the most part being ignored by everyone outside their
immediate community.

  Maybe PEP 333 will help by making movement between frameworks
simpler for application developers.  Of course, it may not, since
it ignores complex things (it certainly comes nowhere close to
addressing the requirements for a Seaside-alike), and any developer
who wants to remain portable will not be able to take advantage of
this technique.

  Jp