Best python postgres module?

Dave Brueck dave at pythonapocrypha.com
Fri Jan 28 15:20:47 EST 2005

Roland Heiber wrote:
> i recently migrated from mysql to postgresql and did use severel python
> postgres-modules. All do what they are designed for, so which one would
> you use? psycopg, pygresql, pypgsql? psycopg seems to be the best
> solution for heavy traffic/multiple connections .... i have no real
> testing environment, so any advice which one to use for different
> usecases would be nice.

Hi Roland,

We've been using psycopg (via Zope and straight Python programs) for about a
year and haven't had any problems at all. We don't store much binary data so I
don't know how well psycopg handles blobs and what-not, but performance and
reliability has been fine.

I have no idea how psycopg stacks up against the others; in the end we chose it
because the project appeared to be active, it was easy enough to set up, and a
few test scripts we made all worked (how's that for rigorous evaluation? ;-) ).

HTH,
Dave