Long strings as function parameters

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Sun Jan 9 21:53:47 EST 2005

"Dan Bishop" <danb_83 at yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:1105290325.030128.146490 at c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
> In Python, *every* expression is a pointer.

Minor but to me important nit: this should start "In the CPython
implementation of Python" ...

Humans can understand and execute Python code without knowing about
computer memory addresses (pointers).  Other computer languages can also do
something slightly different from CPython, as I believe is the case with
Jython.

The Python language is defined by sematics, not by mechanisms, especially
low-level interpreter-specific mechanisms.  This is a large part of what
makes it readable.

To the OP: a Python function call binds argument objects to either local
parameter names or slots within a named catchall list or dict.  Like other
binding (assignment) operations, there is no copying.

Terry J. Reedy