inherit without calling parent class constructor?

Christian Dieterich cdieterich at geosci.uchicago.edu
Thu Jan 27 13:53:37 EST 2005

On Dé Céadaoin, Ean 26, 2005, at 17:02 America/Chicago, Steven Bethard
wrote:

> Just a note of clarification:
>
> The @deco syntax is called *decorator* syntax.
> Classes with a __get__ method are called *descriptors*.

Okay, I think I get the idea. I didn't know about the @deco syntax, but
it seems to be straightforward. And I got myself updated a little bit
on descriptors and static methods.

On Dé Céadaoin, Ean 26, 2005, at 17:09 America/Chicago, Jeff Shannon
wrote:

> You could try making D a container for B instead of a subclass:

Thank you for the solution. I'll need to have a closer look at it.
However it seems like the decision whether to do "some expensive
calculation" or not is delegated to the exterior of class D. Different
classes that instanciate D would need to know what has been going on
elsewhere. That might complicate things.

I'll go ahead and try with the descriptors first.

Thanks for all the help,

Christian