Finding a script's home directory?

Gabriel Cooper gabriel.cooper at mediapulse.com
Mon Jan 24 10:40:29 EST 2005

In one of my python programs has a data file I need to load. My solution
was to say:

        if os.path.exists(os.path.join(os.getcwd(), "config.xml")):
            self.cfgfile = os.path.join(os.getcwd(), "config.xml")

Which works fine... as long as you're *in* the script's home directory
when you run it (as in, run it as: ./startApp.py as opposed to
./myApp/startApp.py).

If I run it from an alternate directory the program looks for the
config.xml file in my current directory not the app's home directory. So
how do I get the script's home directory?