What's so funny? WAS Re: rotor replacement

Jeremy Bowers jerf at jerf.org
Wed Jan 26 19:06:49 EST 2005

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 04:04:38 +0000, phr wrote:

> Skip Montanaro <skip at pobox.com> writes:
>> Because good requirements specification is difficult and testing improves
>> the breed.  Better to have the major API changes and bugs taken care of, and
>> to have its popularity demonstrated *before* it gets into the Python
>> distribution.  The best way to do something isn't always obvious at the
>> outset.
>
> That is sometimes true, but not always.  Sometimes the best way is
> obvious.

With all due respect, you aren't arguing very well. Your posts are, like
this quote, more reactionary than thought-out.

You need to stop arguing for the sake of argument, read more carefully,
and think more about your global goals in this conversation than your
local ones. I'm 99% certain that you've already gotten all the answers
you're going to get and all the answers you need in this thread, but
you're so busy arguing the local points like this, you haven't noticed.

(Either that, or it's the "you haven't answered me because you haven't
given the exact answer I want" bit, which I find quite tiresome; there's
another list where there are these three teenagers that don't even realize
they've defined "answer" that way and keep bitching that they aren't being
"answered" when the "answer" is, basically, "it's nice that you feel that
way." But I digress.)

> I don't need your permission to do that.  What I'm looking for is an
> indication that it's worth my while, before I spend the effort.

The policy has been laid out, multiple times, by multiple people now. The
answer is, you are not going to get any such indication that will satisfy
you. Note that I am not a Python contributor of any kind. Also note that I
figured this out about two days ago. You can wheedle these guys all you
want, but they are too experienced for you to extract a promise from them.