Pystone benchmark: Win vs. Linux (again)

Paul Rubin http
Sat Jan 29 04:57:27 EST 2005

aleaxit at yahoo.com (Alex Martelli) writes:
> ...or (just as hypothetically) purchasing some commercial compiler might
> help, under the assumption that the optimization and code generation of
> the compiler are the issues here.  I have nothing but hearsay to go on,
> but IBM's compiler for PPC chips, and Intel's compiler for Intel chips,
> appear to claim that they have excellent code generation, for example.

Perhaps so.  Actually that benchmark difference may have come from
differing Python versions.  I've heard that Intel cc typically beats
gcc by 5% or so for integer code.  There are various benchmarks
floating around.  But that Pystone measurement differed by
considerably more.