Redirecting stdout/err under win32 platform

David Douard douardda at free.fr
Sat Jan 29 13:44:26 EST 2005

Hi everybody,

let me explain by problem:
I am working on an application which consists in a C++ dll (numeric
computations) and a Python IHM (Python/Tk), which must run under Linux and
win32. My problem is the C++ lib does write stuffs on its stdout, and I
would like to print those messages in a Tk frame. When I run the
computation, it has it's own thread.

So my question is : how van I redirect the dll's stdout to something I can
retrieve in Python (pipe, socket,...)?

I can do it easily under Linux. I made tests with a socket which just works
fine. In the threaded function (that will do the heavy computation), I
write:

import os, sys
from socket import *
s=socket(AF_UNIX, SOCK_STREAM)
s.connect(...)
os.dup2(sys.__stdout__.fileno(), s.fileno())
very_intensive_function(many_parameters)
s.close()

That's OK under Linux, but does not work under win32 (even if I use an INET
localhost socket), cause I cannot do the os.dup2 trick (Windows does not
want to consider a socket as a file! What a shity system!).

So my question is : is there a simple solution ? I have tested different
solutions. I am trying hacks with pipes created with the win32api. But I
have not yet managed this simple operation.

Note that I have no access to the dll source code, so I cannot modify it so
it uses a named pipe (for example) as message output pipe instead os
stdout...

Thanks,
David