reusing Tkinter Canvases

Cameron Laird claird at lairds.us
Sat Jan 15 10:08:04 EST 2005

In article <e5063e96.0501141228.4297f47e at posting.google.com>,
Sean McIlroy <sean_mcilroy at yahoo.com> wrote:
>I'd like to save one Tkinter Canvas in order to use it on another
>Canvas later. The problem is that it gets saved as EPS but it needs to
>be GIF to be reuseable. How can I convert that format?
			.
			.
			.
There's probably a snappy answer to this, but I don't know it.

There certainly are EPS -> GIF converters, if you truly want to
go that way.  In the Tk tradition, there are two main approaches
to this need:
1.  Use the Img extension, which knows how to render
    Canvases as .gif (and much else);
2.  "Serialize" the canvas, and re-render it.

Img is a venerable Tk extension, with a long, distinguished,
history.  It's not in the core only because of administrative
issues not of interest here.  It ought to work fine with
Tkinter--but I know of no one who's succeeded in the attempt.