Python Operating System???

Roose b at b.b
Sat Jan 8 03:28:12 EST 2005

> But I thought Python was an all-purpose language.  After all, OS's
> have been written in Lisp before too.

It is a general purpose APPLICATION language.  I am surprised that this
hasn't been mentioned on this thread.

An OS is NOT an application.  It is a completely different kind of program.
Do you guys understand the difference between user and kernel mode?  Do you
know what address spaces and hardware interrupts are?  Python is not
equipped to handle these things.  You would end up doing so much in C
extensions that it could barely be called Python.

I am not trying to be insulting... but unless someone would like to educate
me otherwise, the idea of an OS written in Python is almost ludicrous.  As I
said, I think you might mean an OS SHELL, which would be a reasonable
(although maybe unconventional) thing to write in python.

Also I am no threading expert, but I would imagine it would be very hard to
write a task scheduler in Python given that it has the whole GIL thing.  (As
I said that isn't my domain of expertise but I'm sure someone here could
expound on that.)