Python evolution: Unease

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Thu Jan 6 23:53:38 EST 2005

"Paul Rubin" <"http://phr.cx"@NOSPAM.invalid> wrote in message
news:7xsm5et0rb.fsf at ruckus.brouhaha.com...
> "Terry Reedy" <tjreedy at udel.edu> writes:
>> Would it be possible, at least for Windows, to write a Python script
>> implementing a 'virtual distribution'?  IE, download Python, install it,
>> download next package, install it, etc.  -- prefereably table driven?
>
> I just don't understand why you'd want to do that, instead of putting
> all the files in the distro in the first place.

For myself, I can imagine writing such a script using existing installers.
I have no idea how to put, say, 20 packages together in one installer.
Even if I could, I would not personally buy the bandwidth for gigabyte
downloads.  I could, however, find somewhere to put a 1K or so script.

Terry J. Reedy