embedding jython in CPython...

Jim Hargrave jhargraveiii at msn.com
Sat Jan 22 22:34:55 EST 2005

Sorry - should have given more detail.  That's what I get for posting at
1:00AM.

What I want to do us write scripts in CPython that access Windows
ActiveX such as Word and IE. Obviously Jython can't do this (easily at
least). I also have Jython scripts that provide a high level layer on
top of various Java libraries. I'd like to write as much code in Python
as possible. But I have a mixture of incompatible CPython and Jython
scripts - that's why I would like to embed Jython in CPython. If I can
call my Jython scripts from CPython I can have the best of both world's!

Would I be able to embed Jython using JPype? The PyLucene approach
(compile Java source with GCJ then wrap with SWIG) looks interesting -
but complicated.

Here's an example of embedding Jython in a regular Java app:
http://www.jython.org/docs/embedding.html

Imagine doing the same in CPython, but with JPype or GCJ/SWIG.